Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Drive for the Move

This papyrus font is in part due to the fact that I spent the last two days listening to Rick Riordan’s “The Throne of Fire: Kane Chronicles Book 2” which has saved my sanity I suspect but also has me dreaming about Egyptian Gods…
Well we have been driving and driving and driving. We left at 5 a.m. on Sunday morning and were lucky enough to caravan with Connie all the way to St. George and Pax got to ride with Madison and Emma. It was so nice for her to have some time with her friend. We had breakfast at McDonald’s in St. George then parted ways. (P.S. Connie – Gage LOVES that puzzle)
We drove all through southern Utah and took the turnoff toward Richfield/Salina. We had gas and some snacks but not nearly enough food for what was ahead. If you ever drive this way, stock up. When it says “No Services for 105 miles” Seriously there are NO SERVICES. We had rest areas but NOTHING else. There is a town called Green River after 105 miles in but it looked sketchy to me so we drove onto Grand Junction, CO, which means we actually spent 200 miles w/no extra food. Made for some seriously grumpy travelers. Plus Pax was extra grumpy because she didn’t sleep in the morning like the boys. She finally cried herself to sleep but it was not pleasant for any of us. At Clifton we spent an hour at a McDonald’s with a Play Place. Life. Saving. Driving through Colorado was really beautiful. Drove through the Mountains through Eagle and Vail.



These are from Vail Canyon Rest Stop
We finally made it to Denver around 8 p.m. and I was beyond exhausted. Cried myself to sleep; missing Sean and my friends and just flat out wasted from driving and dealing with the kids in such close quarters all day.  We ordered Rio (the movie) and let the kids watch while I fell asleep.
But a new day dawned. Found out I hadn’t gotten the breakfast buffet included with my AAA discount so we were out of luck unless I wanted to spend mucho dinero on a buffet that I knew the kids wouldn’t eat. So we swam for an hour then checked out, went to Safeway got donuts and snacks and Jamba Juice smoothies. Delish!! Then we began our drive…another 542 miles to my parent’s home in Omaha. We drove and drove.
We stopped at a rest stop on the Colorado/Nebraska border, Julesburg, CO, to be exact which was a stop on The Pony Express. We took pics by the monument.

 We cheered when we saw the Entering Nebraska sign.
Anyways, the DVD player died so that stunk but Pax slept which was miraculous. That girl does not do well in her car seat for a long time. Gage kept saying “Mom, my butt hurts!” Vaughn was so great. Really for what we were doing they were all absolutely amazing. I am so proud of them. Anyways at the NE state line Lincoln was 300 miles and Omaha 342. Very disheartening when I’d already driven 1000 miles. Fast forward many hours and two time zones and we got to Lincoln. We didn’t stop but I got excited driving by Lincoln. Wanted to stop sooo bad but wanted to get to my parent’s home more. Ugh another 50 miles. Kids freaking out. Legs cramping. Butt’s hurting. Have to pee. Finally here. Had to pee so bad I squatted behind the cars into a bush. I have to pee all the time, especially when driving and I’m drinking lots for something to do. It drives Sean bonkers.

So here we are. We miss our Vegas friends but are so excited for this new adventure. I’ll keep you posted.

Xoxo
Apryl

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore you! This post is perfect & will go down in your history books as something as great as the Battle of Yorktown, for all you each have endured! So glad you made it safely, I'm sure your parents are just loving those babies, and now the next adventure begins. Love you all xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really DID have to pee! LOL! Your kids are awesome. I can so hear Gage's little voice with a lisp on the end of "butt hurts". I loved the pics of Colorado. Gorgeous! You did it mamasita!

    ReplyDelete