Friday, July 29, 2011

Sparknotes List

I started a goal earlier this year to read all the books on the Sparknotes list. I started with 1984 then 2001: A Space Odyssey. Then I hit the A's and have read Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt, A&P a short story by John Updike and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. Today I started Adam Bede by George Eliot and just had to share this quote from the protagonist Adam Bede:

But t'hear some o' them preachers, you'd think a man must be doing nothing all's life but shutting's eyes  and looking what's a-going on inside him. I know a man must have the love o' God in his soul, and the Bible's God's word. But what does the Bible say? Why, it says as God put his sperrit into the workman as built the tabernacle, to make him do all the carved work and things as wanted a nice hand. And this is my way o' looking at it; there's the sperrit o' God in all things and all times -- week-day as well as Sunday -- and i' the great work and inventions, and i' the figuring and the mechanics. And God helps us with our head-pieces and our hands as well as with our souls; and if a man does bits o' jobs out o' working hours -- builds a oven for's wife to save her from going to the bakehouse, or scrats at his bit o' garden and makes two potatoes grow instead o' one, he's doing more good, and he's just as near to God, as if he was running after some preacher and a-praying and a-groaning.

I know it's long. My BYU professors would tell me to find what I found most important and make it more of a concise quote but I just loved it all.

I'm working on my post about our family reunion trip to Wisconsin and day trip into Duluth, MN.

xoxo

Pearldog

2 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you're reading all the books on the Sparknotes list! About four or five years ago, I came across a list of the "100 Greatest Novels of All Time" and set a goal to read them all. I'm still working on it, but not as diligently as I once was. ;) Good luck with your goal!!

    ReplyDelete